Sunday, June 17, 2007

Warning: Another version of the Scam

Found a site in New Zeland that describes a version of the scam using lost pet advertisements that someone has placed.



Lost Pet Scams info...


Examples of this scam...

"Very soon after I posted my ad for my lost cat I got a reply from someone calling herself "Sister Brenda". She went on about the cat and Africa and how God was looking after him. I wrote it off as some silly sort of reply and, as you can see below, asked her not to write again. Tonight (Tuesday) I got another email saying she has the cat and I can have him back for forty dollars."

Subject: YOUR CAT IS FOUNT.
From: "sister brenda"

(SCAM!!!)
THANKS SHOULD FIRST BE GIVEN TO THE INTERNET .IYOUR CAT IS IN MY KEEPING YOU MAY BE SUPPRISE FOR IT TO BE SEEN HEAR IN CAMEROON BUT THANS GOD PLANTS EVERY THING.SO AS OF NOW I NEED YOUR ADDRESS AND A SUM OF 40 DOLLERS FOR THE SHIPMEN OF THE CAT.THE CAT IS OF GOOD CONDITION SO IAM WAITTING FOR YOUR REPLY SO THAT THE SHIPMENT SHOULD BE DONE VERY FAST AS POSSIBLE.THANKS
GOD BLESS YOU


Hi there. I placed an ad for a missing cat last week. I got a reply.
I dont' really like the tone of it and I think it might be heading
towards a scam. I felt I should report it. It's actually seeming rather
cruel.

The first email got was notifying me there was a reply to my ad.

(SCAM!!!)
"I live in Christchurch.I think I know where is your cat
Alana
alana3@mail333.com"

I replied giving my phone number and asked for some details ie: their
phone number and what part of town they were in.

I got another reply

(SCAM!!!)
"I think I know exacly where is your pet.I work at the
shelter.I sa the picture.Will you agree to my
conditions to get your pet back?"


I have just replied asking for their name and contact number and the
details of which shelter they work at. mail333.com is a foreign (Russian) website.
I don't think these people are genuine.

I will see if they reply and keep you posted but it all sounds very
dodgy. I would hate to have the next step be them asking for money.. and
having some unfortunate and distraught pet owner be gullible enough to
believe it :(

Your website is fantastic. Keep up the great work.



Here are some other great websites dealing with this scam...

http://www.caveatemptorus.com/dogscams.html

http://www.scambusters.org/petscams.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE POST YOUR COMMENT TO THE MOST RECENT POSTING ON THIS PAGE, NOT THE ONE THAT CAME UP IN YOUR SEARCH. Do not forget to include the scammers e-mail address.

THANK YOU